Hurrying through the rainswept November night, you're glad to see the bright
lights of the Opera House. It's surprising that there aren't more people about
but, hey, what do you expect in a cheap demo game...?


Cloak of Darkness
A Basic IF Demonstration
Written using Hugo v2.5 by Kent Tessman (c) 1995-1999

Foyer of the Opera House
  You are standing in a spacious hall, splendidly decorated in red and gold,
with glittering chandeliers overhead. The entrance from the street is to the
north, and there are doorways south and west.

>GO NORTH
You've only just arrived, and besides, the weather outside seems to be getting
worse.

>GO SOUTH
You stumble around in the dark.

>EXAMINE ME
In the dark? You could easily disturb something!

>NORTH

Foyer of the Opera House

>LOOK

Foyer of the Opera House
  You are standing in a spacious hall, splendidly decorated in red and gold,
with glittering chandeliers overhead. The entrance from the street is to the
north, and there are doorways south and west.

>WEST

Cloakroom
  The walls of this small room were clearly once lined with hooks, though now
only one remains. The exit is a door to the east.

>EXAMINE THE HOOK
It's just a small brass hook, screwed to the wall.

>EXAMINE ME
Looking good.

>INVENTORY
You are carrying a velvet cloak (being worn).

>TAKE OFF THE CLOAK
You take off the velvet cloak.

>EXAMINE IT
(Assuming you mean the velvet cloak.)
A handsome cloak, of velvet trimmed with satin, and slightly spattered with
raindrops. Its blackness is so deep that it almost seems to suck light from the
room.

>HANG IT ON THE HOOK
(Assuming you mean the velvet cloak.)
You put the velvet cloak on the small brass hook.

>EAST

Foyer of the Opera House

>SOUTH

Foyer bar
  The bar, much rougher than you'd have guessed after the opulence of the foyer
to the north, is completely empty. There seems to be some sort of message
scrawled in the sawdust on the floor.

>READ THE MESSAGE
The message, neatly marked in the sawdust, reads...

You have won!

You scored a total of 2 out of 2.

The game has ended.  Do you want to (R)ESTART, R(E)STORE a saved game, (U)NDO
your last turn, or (Q)UIT?